Executive Chef Jonathon Miller & Executive Pastry Chef Jeremy Garcia from Stein Eriksen Lodge made a Rhubarb & Strawberry Pistachio Pie with Candied Pistachios and Slide Ridge Honey Whip Cream.
Serves 8 Friends and Family
Strawberry Rhubarb Filling
- 3 cups Fresh Rhubarb, sliced
- ½ cup Slide Ridge Honey
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 each Lime, zest & juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups Strawberries, quartered
- ¼ cup Tapioca Starch
1. Combine rhubarb, honey, strawberries, lime zest & juice in a bowl.
2. Mix together the sugar with the tapioca starch.
3. Toss the fruit in the sugar mixture. Set aside.
4. Put mixture into pie shell. Place in freezer for 20 minutes.
5. Pre-heat oven to 375 F. Put pie in oven directly on rack with drip pan beneath it.
6. Reduce heat to 350 F. Bake pie for 20 minutes.
7. Top pie evenly with a layer of crumb topping and return to oven.
8. Bake another 20 minutes, or until filling just starts to bubble. Remove from oven and let cool.
Pistachio Pie Dough
- 2 ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup Pistachios, unsalted
- 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 3/4 stick Unsalted Butter, cold
- 2/3 cup Water, ice cold
1. Combine flour, pistachios, sugar and salt in a food processor.
2. Blend this flour mixture on high until pistachios are reduced to fine pieces.
3. Put this flour mixture in bowl of a stand-up mixer. Cut the butter into ½” cubes and add to the mixture.
4. Combine the flour mixture and butter with the paddle attachment until the butter is about pea-sized.
5. Add the cold water and let mix until the dough barely comes together. Add more water if necessary.
6. Remove dough from bowl, wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
7. Roll out dough to line pie pan.
- 1 stick Butter
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1. Combine all ingredients in bowl of a stand-up mixer.
- 2. Mix well until a crumbly mixture forms. Reserve in the fridge until needed.
- Candied “Frosted” Pistachios
- 1 cup Pistachios, unsalted
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Water
1. Combine water and sugar in a small pot.
2. Bring to boil. Continue to boil a few minutes, until syrup reaches 230 F.
3. Add the pistachios.
4. Stir the pistachios constantly in the syrup with a spoon.
5. Continue to stir until the sugar crystallizes and the pistachios are coated.
6. Remove from the pot onto a sheet tray. Let cool.
Mascarpone Whipped Cream
- 1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream
- ½ cup Mascarpone Cheese
- ½ tsp. Slide Ridge Honey Vinegar
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cup Powdered Sugar
1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2. Whip on medium-high speed until medium peaks forms.
3. Use as needed.