Most people think of toast as just a quick breakfast option, but it can be so much more than that! With endless topping combinations, “fancy toast” actually goes beyond a simple snack and becomes a satisfying meal. Chef Trent Campbell of Shylo’s Mobile Cafe joined us with the recipe.
Pumpkin Mac & Cheese Toast
- 1 slice of bread
- 1.5 slices Gouda
- 2 slices crispy bacon
- 1 pats salted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup Pumpkin Mac & Cheese (recipe follows)
Pumpkin Mac & Cheese:
- 1 pound pasta
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups half & half
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Smoked Gruyère
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Cook pasta according to directions and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a sauce pan and add diced shallots, salt, and red pepper flakes. Cook for a few minutes until fragrant and softened. Add sage leaves and cook for another two minutes. Add flour and whisk for another 2 minutes until a roux forms. Once the flour cooks out, add half n half and whisk. Season to taste and then let the mixture cook and reduce for 5-10 minutes. Whisk in Cheddar, Smoked Gruyère and the pumpkin puree. Add honey and once again, season to taste.
- Add pasta, stir until evenly combined, then remove from heat.
- Grab your perfectly toasted slice of bread. Spread butter evenly onto your slice of toast, top with pumpkin mac & cheese, crumbled Gouda cheese, bacon bits and enjoy!
Find Shylo’s Mobile Café on Facebook: @shylosmobilecafe and call (801) 864-8786 for more information.