Shauna Havey joined us to share an easy pot luck item that people can bring to all their summer gatherings! Made for holding in one hand, these little subs pack a punch of flavor. Sliced kielbasa sausage is sautéed with onions, then gets a glaze of smoky barbeque sauce before it’s stuffed into buttery dinner rolls. Sharp cheeses, and fresh parsley finish off this easy to make, party-ready dish. There isn’t a better bite to serve at your next summer get-together.
Pull-Apart BBQ Kielbasa Subs
Prep time: Ready in 25 minutes.
Makes 12 servings
- 1 twelve-pack dinner rolls
- 4 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 sixteen ounce kielbasa sausage, cut into coins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 Cup ginger ale soda
- 1/3 Cup barbeque sauce
- 1 1/2 Cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 Tablespoon finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, minced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place dinner rolls onto an 8 X 12 cookie sheet. Leave the rolls intact.
- In a skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onions, kielbasa, salt, and pepper. Cook over medium high heat just until the sausage begins to brown on the outside. Drain off grease.
- Pour in the ginger ale and continue cooking over medium high heat for five minutes. Most of the liquid will be absorbed. Add the barbeque sauce, stir, and remove from heat.
- Cut a slit into the tops of each dinner roll and remove a small bit of the bread inside the rolls. Stuff 2 Tablespoons of the cheddar cheese into each roll.
- Stuff the sausage mixture evenly into each roll.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave and brush it onto the surfaces of the rolls. Sprinkle on poppy seeds. Bake rolls for 5 minutes, just to melt the cheese.
- Remove the subs from the oven and top with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
For more recipes