Charlotte Hancey joined us in the kitchen today to share her favorite winter time casserole, King Ranch chicken!
King Ranch Chicken
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large poblano (pasilla) pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14.5 oz) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 1 (10 oz) can Mild Rotel Tomatoes, drained
- 1 ½ cups sour cream (light is ok)
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 20 corn tortillas, torn into fourths
- Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375. Lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and poblano, sauté 10 minutes or until softened and lightly browned. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook 1 minute.
3. Sprinkle flour over vegetable mixture, and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Whisk in broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes or until thickened then remove from heat. Add green chilies, Rotel tomatoes, and sour cream.
4. Stir until combined then add chicken and mix.
5. Add a single layer of tortillas (slightly overlapping) to the bottom of prepared baking dish. Top with 1/3 of chicken mixture. Add a thin layer of each of the cheeses. Repeat layers 2 more times. Add any remaining cheese to the top.
6. Cover with non-stick foil and bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 more minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
For more fun and delcious recipes visit charlotteshares.blog or Instagram @charlotte.shares .