When you think of the fair you think of fried food right? Well that’s exactly what Charlotte Hancey thinks and that’s why she shared her recipe for hush puppies today! She will be doing a cooking demo for her drop biscuits on September 8 at 6:00pm.
The Utah State Fair is happening September 6 through the 16. Learn more at utahstatefair.com.
Makes about 2 dozen.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, finely diced
- Vegetable oil
- Add about 2 inches of oil to a large, deep skillet. Preheat oil for frying to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add flour, cornmeal, salt, baking soda, and sugar. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add to dry mixture and stir together.
- Fold onions into batter. Mixture will be thick.
- Drop the batter using a small scoop or spoon (approx 2 tablespoons) into the oil. Do not overcrowd the pan or the oil will cool down too much.
- Fry until dark golden brown, turning the hush puppies during the cooking process.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel lined plate.