Fair food is every kids dream dinner! Emily Gibson shared her recipe for homemade corn dogs that taste just like the ones from the fair.
Homemade Corn Dogs
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (regular milk works too)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 (10 count) package Hot Dogs
- 10 wooden skewers or chopsticks
- 2 Quarts Vegetable Oil, for frying
- In a medium or large pot, add the oil.
- Turn heat to medium and heat oil to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Stir together. Then add the beaten egg, buttermilk, oil and honey. Stir until combined.
- Remove hot dogs from package.
- Wipe them all dry with a paper towel.
- Insert one skewer or wooden stick into each hot dog.
- Pour the batter into a tall drinking glass.
- Holding by the skewer, take one hot dog and dunk it into the batter, coating all of the hot dog.
- Slowly remove from batter and let a little excess batter drip back into the cup.
- Immediately place it into the hot oil, while still holding the stick.
- Turn as necessary to brown all sides.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until all sides are a deep golden brown.
- Remove from hot oil and place on paper towels to drain grease.
- Repeat with all hot dogs.
For more recipes from Emily visit Instagram: @emilinethegreat.