The perfect dinner or lunch accompaniment to soup! Little sausage pies are butter dough wrapped around warm sausage and cheese. This is a family recipe that chef Jenn Martello grew up with, and the ultimate comfort food! Find Jenn on IG at @chefjennmartello and online www.chefjennmartello.com
1 lb. Bulk sausage
1 tbsp Mustard, Dijon
1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
3 1/4 – 3 3/4 Cup Flour, all purpose
1 pkg Yeast
2 tbsp Sugar
1 cup Water, warm
1/2 cup Butter, melted
Egg wash, beat 1 egg with 1 tsp water
1. Brown sausage in a medium skillet 3-5 minutes, stir in mustard and set aside.
2. Preheat Oven 400*
3. In a stand mixer using the dough hook combine 2 cups of flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Heat water and butter to 120 degrees and add liquid to the flour mixture, blend at low until moistened, beat 3 minutes. Add additional flour until smooth and elastic.
4. Divide into 4 dough balls, cover and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
5. Divide each dough ball into 4 more smaller balls, flatten each ball and roll out into a circle. Fill with 1 tbsp sausage mixture and 1 tbsp swiss cheese. Fold in half and seal with a fork.
6. Place pies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush with egg wash and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.