Many Merriman from Baking with Blondie joined us with the most patriotic 4th of July cake that looks tricky to make… but is actually very straight forward!
Make your favorite white cake recipe and one batch of vanilla buttercream. Directions to making the cake are as follows:
- Split the cake into four pans
- Color one pan’s batter blue and the other three red
- Bake according to your cake’s directions
- Cool, then slice in half to make 6 red cake rounds and one blue
- Remove a 3″ hole out the middle of two red rounds, and one blue round
- Stack four red cake rounds with white buttercream between, then stack on the blue layer
- Fill in the little blue hole with a red small circle, then white buttercream, then another red circle
- Frost the entire cake (crumb coat)
- Final coat the cake with a little layer of sprinkles on the bottom rim
- Using a Wilton 1M piping tip, pipe blue rosettes on the corner, then stripes using white and red buttercream
- Refrigerate overnight, then slice into the flag with a hot knife for the best looking slice.
For more amazing recipes, visit bakingwithblondie.blogspot.com and find her on Instagram: @bakingwithblondie .