Chef Jeff Jackson from Smith’s Food & Drug Stores joined us in the GTU kitchen with a recipe that will make you crave BBQ’s and summertime!
Elote (Mexican Street Corn)
- 8 ears corn, shucked, oiled and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 8 skewers
- ½ c. mayonnaise
- ¼ c. Mexican crema, or substitute sour cream
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. Tajin seasoning
- 1 c. grated Cotija cheese or Queso Fresco, grated parmesan can also be used
- Cilantro leaves and extra Tajin seasoning for garnish
- Make the cream mixture by adding the mayo, crema, garlic, Tajin seasoning, and lime juice and zest to a mixing bowl. Using a whisk, mix to combine. Set aside.
- Put the cheese in a shallow dish or plate. The cooked corn will be rolled in this later.
- Put the corn on skewers and on a grill preheated to medium high, cook the corn about 2 minutes per side or until it starts to char. Remove from the grill.
- Using a spatula or knife, slather the cream mixture over the corn while it’s hot. Next roll the corn in the cheese to coat. Sprinkle the corn with a little more Tajin seasoning and top with a few cilantro leaves.
Visit smithsfoodanddrug.com to find a store near you and more recipes! You can also find them on social media @mysmithsgrocery .