Debi Jensen and her granddaughter Sage Jensen from Swirly Girls, are representing the state of Utah in the newest baking competition series on Discovery Family called, “Bake It Like Buddy.”
This is Buddy Valastro’s most recent baking challenge that takes place at Carlos’s Bakery in Hoboken, New Jersey.. We were lucky enough to have both Debi and Sage join us in the Kitchen to show us their delicious Chocolate Strawberry Cake and talk to us about their experience being on the show!
Chocolate Strawberry Cake
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flower
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup buttermilk (room temperature)
- ¾ cup hot strong brewed coffee or hot water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups unsalted butter cubed, room temperature
- ½ cup pureed strawberries (about 1 cup whole strawberries – stemmed, hulled and pureed)
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate finely chopped
- 2 oz heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350F, grease three 6″ round baking pans and dust with cocoa powder. Line bottoms with parchment.
- Place all dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk all wet ingredients (pour coffee/water in slowly as not to cook the eggs if very hot).
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix on medium for 2-3 minutes. Batter will be very thin.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans. I used a kitchen scale to ensure the batter is evenly distributed.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out mostly clean. A total of 30-35 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pans then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, cut each layer in half horizontally to get 6 layers.
- Place egg whites and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk until combined.
- Place bowl over a hot water bath on the stove and whisk constantly until the mixture is no longer grainy to the touch (approximately 3 minutes).
- In a medium bowl, whisk all wet ingredients (pour coffee/water in slowly to avoid cooking the eggs if wet ingredients are very hot).
- Switch to paddle attachment. Slowly add cubed butter and mix until smooth.
- Add strawberry puree and whip until smooth.
- Place chopped chocolate and cream into a microwavable-safe bowl. Stir to combine. Microwave for 20 seconds, stir. Microwave in 10 second intervals, stirring in between, until ganache is smooth and silky. Set aside to cool completely and thicken slightly before using on cake.
Place one layer of cake on a cake stand or serving dish. Top with about 2/3 cup of buttercream. Repeat with remaining layers. Frost and smooth the outside with a thin crumb coat. Chill for 20 minutes.
Frost the cake. Using a small spoon, place dollops of ganache around the top edges of the cooled cake, allowing some to drip down. Fill in the top of the cake with more ganache and spread evenly with an offset spatula.
If you want to learn more tasty recipes from the Swirly Girls, you can follow them on Instagram: @swirlygirls_ or Facebook: Swirly Girls Gourmet Bakery.
You can also visit them at their store location in Daybreak!
Swirly Girls Gourmet Bakery
11248 Kestrel Rise Rd. Ste 100