Emily Gibson joined Good Things Utah to shared a traditional family recipe for canteen burgers. Believe it or not, these babies are cooked in a crockpot! For more visit Instagram: @emilinethegreat.
- 3lbs ground beef
- 2-3 cups water
- 12 hamburger buns (no sesame seeds)
- Velvetta cheese (slices ok)
- Pickles, sliced
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- Wax paper
- Chocolate milk
- Chocolate Pie
- Brown ground beef in a pan until cooked, and then add it to your crockpot on “keep warm setting.” Include the grease! Every 30 minutes, sprinkle with salt, and add 1/4-1/2 cup water and stir around. Repeat for 2-3 hours. The water will evaporate off, but keep the meat from drying out.
- Cut wax paper one per person, and lay out buns.
- Add meat, condiments, cheese, pickles, onions, and salt to your liking.
- Wrap up in wax paper, microwave for 20-30 seconds to melt cheese
- Write on paper what you’ve added (ex: cheese, ketchup, onion OR everything)
- Serve with a spoon, chocolate milk, and finish it off with a piece of chocolate pie!