Jaden Olsen frosted cookies with Ali, Reagan and Angie. These are perfect to bake with your little ones for the guy dressed in red!
Toba Garrett’s Butter Cookies
From the book ‘Creative Cookies’ by Toba Garrett.
- 1 C unsalted butter
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 C all purpose flour, plus extra for rolling out dough
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with a mixer paddle attachment for 2 minutes. Scrape sides and cream for another minute.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Sift together baking powder and flour.
- Add the flour mixture 1 cup at a time to the creamed butter and sugar mixture. Mix thoroughly after each addition. Blend teh last cup of flour by hand.
- Divide dough into two balls.
- Wrap one in plastic wrap until ready to use.
- On a floured surface, roll out the other ball of dough 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut out cookies to preferred shape.
- Place cookies on an ungreased nonstick cookie sheet or one lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until the edges brown lightly.
- Let cookies rest before frosting.
Toba Garrett’s Glace Icing
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 lb confectioners sugar
- 6 Tbsp milk or water
- 6 Tbsp corn syrup
- Flavor options:
- 1 tsp concentrated extract or 2-3 drops concentrated candy oil.
- In a mixing bowl, thoroughly mix the sugar and the milk.
- Add corn syrup and mix until well combined.
- Divide the icing into several bowls.
- Flavor each bowl with extracts, alcohol or candy oils.
- Color each bowl of icing as desired.