Sue Astle is joing us here and being apart of our slow cooker week by putting together her African Peanut Soup!
African Peanut Soup
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 large onions diced
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 C chicken broth
- 3/4 C natural peanut butter (peanut butter with peanuts and salt only)
- 2 C cooked shredded chicken
- 2 (15 oz) cans of coconut milk
- 1-2 serrano pepper depending on spice level desired (deseeded and chopped)
- 3 large sweet potatoes chopped
- 1 can 14.5 ounce diced tomatoes
- 2 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 T Berbere spice
- 3 cups of dried rice (cooked separately to yield 6 cups cooked)
- 3 cups of washed chopped kale
- Siracha sauce
- Pour 2 T of olive oil into the bottom of a sauce pan. Sautee diced onions on medium/high heat for 3 minutes and then add minced garlic and sautee for 2 more minutes.
- In the meantime put the chicken broth and peanut butter into the crockpot. Wisk peanut butter into broth.
- Add cooked onions/garlic and all the rest of the ingredients into the crock pot (except for rice,kale, and siracha sauce).
- Cook on low 4-5 hours or high 2-3 or until the sweet potatoes are cooked.
Serve on top of cooked white rice, kale, and add a splash of siracha sauce.