Valentine’s Day is only a couple weeks away so Mandy Merriman thought it would be fitting to share six ways to decorate cupcakes for the day of love.
Watch the clip to see her ideas and get her recipe below.
Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 4 egg whites
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 white cake mix (Duncan Hines), sifted
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, slightly cold
- 1 Tablespoon good quality vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4-6 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat convection oven to 325 degrees. Prep cupcake tins with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients (eggs, vanilla, sour cream, buttermilk, oil), until completely mixed together.
- Whisk in the sifted cake mix until just combined.
- Measure about halfway high batter in each cupcake cup. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Let cool for a minute in cupcake tin, then remove each cupcake and let cool on a wire rack.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, add butter and mix on medium speed until butter is light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add in vanilla, salt, and heavy cream. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- With the mixer speed on medium/low, add in powdered sugar about a half cup at a time. Add more powdered sugar for a stiff consistency. Add in more heavy cream a tablespoon at a time for a more thin consistency. Whip on high for 1 minute, then hand stir if needed to beat out air pockets for a smoother buttercream.
For more recipes visit bakingwithblondie.blogspot.com.