Katelyn Brewer joined us in the kitchen today to show us how to make the perfect domed cupcake. She also gave us a few tips and tricks to throwing a colorful cupcake decorating party.
Vanilla Party Cupcakes
Yield: 12 Cupcakes
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour plus 2 Tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 cup milk
- Desired Food Coloring; I recommend Americolor Food Gels
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2-6 Tablespoons Heavy whipping cream (depending on desired thickness)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with regular white liners; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time; scrape down bowl, beat in vanilla extract.
3. Add flour mixture and milk alternately, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
4. Divide batter into separate bowls and color with food coloring. Then add the last 2 Tablespoons of flour evenly. This will give you an extra lift in the oven.
5. Divide batter evenly among pans, about three-quarters full each. Bake until tops spring back to touch and a toothpick comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes.
1. Beat your butter until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually add in your sifted powdered sugar till well combined.
3. Add in your vanilla extract.
4. Add your heavy cream one tablespoon at a time tell desired consistency.