Shyloh Belap joined us with another great craft for Pin of the Week. Today she showed us how to make the Paisleys and Polka Dots Seasonal Kit.
- Paisleys and Polka Dots Seasonal Kit found here: https://paisleysandpolkadots.com/index.htm ($20)
- Magnetic Shadowbox found here: https://paisleysandpolkadots.com/index.htm ($18)
- Tacky Glue
- Nail File
- Sponge Brush
- Ink Pad
- Precision files
- Orange marker
- Brown and white paint
The kit comes with detailed instructions. Here are some tips Shyloh discovered along the way:
- Place the wood pieces on the paper, trace and cut them to the shape of the wood.
- Shyloh says to not worry about being perfect because you will go through with a nail file and file the edges.
- Paint the wood pieces per the instructions.
- Use wood glue to adhere the paper to the fronts of the wood pieces.
- You can also use mod podge as glue if that is what you have handy in your home
- Sand the edges of the paper.
- Sand in a downward motion because if you sand in an upwards motion, you could lift the paper from the wood!
- Distress all the edges with brown ink (optional). You may want to leave just the sanded edge because that puts a distressed white look around each edge.
- Assemble all the wood pieces using tacky glue. Adhere the magnets to the back of each wood piece.
- If you plan to store this project to use year after year, consider spraying it with clear matte spray. This is optional.
- Add the twine, button, and greenery as shown. Shyloh used a glue gun for the greenery.
For more detailed instructions and pictures, you can visit Shyloh’s blog at ShylohBelnap.com.