Everyone knows that having a baby is an exciting time, but for some reason, we tend not to talk about or be as open about the recovery that will take place afterwards. Recovering after having a baby is definitely not glamorous but there are some things that can make it just a little bit easier on the postpartum mama. Sarah Clark, of the Dainty Pear, joined us to share five essential things that you need for postpartum recovery.
- Giant pads or adult diapers
- Postpartum bleeding can happen for up to 6 weeks and the first couple weeks can be really heavy! Many times the hospital will send you home with some, but if you do get some from the store.
- Stool softener and Life cereal
- Many women won’t get hemorrhoids during birth, but then find themselves getting them after birth when they’re trying to go to the bathroom. So, being proactive about that will keep mom more comfortable!
- Nipple cream
- We want to prevent cracks from getting too deep since they can be really painful, and we want to keep the area clean to avoid infection!
- Bottom spray or squirt bottle
- These spray bottles can help with the pain of any tears or stitches post delivery and keep it clean.
- Support people
- Having either your partner, a friend, a sibling, or another family member checking in on you and watching for signs of Postpartum Depression or Anxiety can make all the difference in a mom’s emotional recovery. The lack of sleep and hormones that happen after delivery can cause that to happen, which can be really normal, but having a support system makings sure mom gets the help she needs can do wonders!
For more tips on all things motherhood visit @thedaintypear on Instagram or Facebook.