Paul and Jaron of Instagram: @slcflightwatch joined us today for our GTU Travel Week to share how they find their flights without special software, miles or points… and for cheap too!
Google Flight Tool
- Easy to read calendar view to find the cheapest flight within a month
- No more clicking back and forth each day wasting time
- Can search up to 5 destination and departure cities in one search
Kayak.com- Explore Feature
- Has a world map view showing ALL prices at one time
- Select departure city and maximum ticket price which will show you when and where you can fly for that price.
Top Tips for booking a cheap flight:
- Be Flexible
- The more flexible you are, the more opportunities you’ll have at finding a cheap fare
- Check Flights Frequently
- Set fair alerts to your top destinations through Google. When there is a significant fare change price, Google will automatically alert you
- Follow Instagram pages like @slcflightwatch that search these fares for you
- Book now, plan later
- The department of transportation requires airlines give customers 24 hours from time of booking to cancel their flight with no penalty as long as the flight is more than 7 days out…..even if the flight is non refundable
- Book the flight…. Worry about getting time off, babysitters, etc over the next 24 hours.
- Book tentative people on separate reservations to avoid cancelling the entire reservation.
- Book directly through the airline
- Should something go wrong, al too often third parties love to pass the blame and your hands are tied. Save yourself the possible headache and book direct.