Valentine’s Day is the day of love, gifts and romantic letters. What better place to drop all these into than a crafty Valentine’s Day box! Every year children get to make a fun box for friends, crushes and Valentines-to-be.
Shyloh Belnap stopped by the studio to show you how to make 3 fun crafty boxes with your children so that they have they cutest box around!
- Pom Poms or real gumbballs. She used pom poms because they were light and easier for them to take to school
- Red Paint
- Oats Canister
- Plastic Fish Bowl
- Terra Cotta Saucer
- 2 Large Wing Nuts
- 1 Washer
- Aluminum Foil
For the base:
- You can either paint the oatmeal canister red, or use paper to cover it.
- Cut a slit for the cards
- Cut some tin foil as shown then glue a washer and a wing nut to the front.
For the top:
- Paint the terra cotta saucer red.
- Glue a wing nut to the lid.
- Glue the plastic fish bowl to the top of the canister.
- Fill with gum balls or pom poms
- Glue the top to the fishbowl if it is filled with pom poms. If it is gum balls, I would fill it at school and then place the lid on top!
- Oats canister
- Kraft Paper
- Beige Card Stock
- Googly Eyes
- Red Card Stock
- Red Yarn
For the body:
- Cut a hole in the body of the canister.
- Cover the canister with Kraft colored paper.
- Cut a circle out of the beige paper for the mouth.
- Cut a red mouth and glue to the beige circle.
- Glue on the googly eyes and use a black marker for the eyebrows and nostrils.
For the ears:
- Cut 2 circles out of cream colored paper and 2 slightly smaller circles from the Kraft colored paper, glue the Kraft paper to the cream paper. Fold the edges of the circles and glue to the canister.
- Glue some red yarn to the top for the hair.
- Square Box
- Gray Card Stock
- Pink Card Stock
- Valentines Designer Card Stock
- Blue Card Stock
- Black Brad
- Cut a hole in the box for the cards. Or, you can use a k-cup box that already has a lid that opens!
- Cut out a trunk for the lid (template on her blog)
- Cover the rest of the box with gray card stock
For the cheeks: Cut a circle in half, use each side for the cheeks (template on her blog)
For the eyes:
- Cut 2 ovals out of white card stock
- Cut 2 blue ovals
- Glue the blue ovals to the white ovals and add a black brad for the “eyeball”
- Score along the bottom of the white oval. The eyes will stand up and then glue to the top of the trunk on the box,
For the Ears: Cut 2 gray hearts
- Cut 2 slightly smaller hearts from the designer paper.
- Glue the designer paper to the gray paper,
- Fold the hearts in half and glue them to the top of the box.
- Add a bow to the top to hid where the ears meet!
For more fun and crafty projects with Shyloh you can visit her blog: ShylohBelnap.com