Jodi Nelson, Instagram influencer came by to talk about traveling again, and how to plan it successfully for families! Find new, unique adventures when traveling as a family, Utah and beyond! “take the trip” “experiences over things”
- Do you have a bucket-list or wander-list or… travel goals? List of places to see before you die? Make one!
- When planning: Consider going somewhere new that offers a bucket-list destination OR just a bucket-list activity. (hot-air balloon ride)
- Follow travel sites – Flights from Home, or Scott’s Cheap Flights, Pomelo Travel, Travel Zoo – get notifications in your email.
- When we have a general time or destination in mind – go to Google Flights and search the destination (toggle the calendar/dates for best deals OR go to Explore the map and mouse over the world.
- Don’t forget “Incognito” / “in-private” mode when searching to avoid cookies.
- Use credit card points/miles!
- 3 cards I have used recently: Capital One Venture, Chase Sapphire, IHG Rewards.
- Airbnb’s/VRBOs have raised their fees for short-term stays (cleaning fees and resort fees) consider mid-range hotels with inclusions like breakfast and parking. Booking.com makes it very clear what the cancellation policies are and what’s included on one page.
- Regardless of what it is…Try something new! Fun and unique and NEW adventures, maybe outside of your comfort zone!
- Even if you are returning to your routine favorite spot – go back and try something new there
- Bryce Canyon –guided ATV there, bike, live show
- St. George – self yoga in snow canyon – even e-bikes for rent
- Las Vegas – try Lake Las Vegas
- Park City – a hot air balloon ride
- Goblin Valley – rent a razor for the weekend and tow it with you to the area. Fun trails outside the park in the area (pic)
Fun for the whole family:
- Compromise. When choosing a trip, plan something everybody likes — not just the parents, not just the kids. Kids love the pool, so reward with pool time after parent’s hike or excursion.
- Hide candy along the hike as you go
More ideas/Recommendations on where to go right now during Covid:
- Florida, National Parks–Rent an RV (Outdoorsy, RVShare, or even KSL) – Hawaii, Mexico
- Europe: We are probably going to see a spike in Utah travelers to Europe with being able to travel with vaccinations starting this Summer
- Greece just opened up to this.
- Iceland is open to vaccinated tourists and that is a great place to go with kids. Plus bucket list, the Northern Lights.
- Roadtrip! Any Utah National Parks or even State Parks are fabulous. Drive to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Or, go a little further, drive to Lake Tahoe or Yosemite in California. Add on many unique stops along the way. You can do a car or RV.