Send your thirst on a hiatus with this made-for-the-desert, pepper infused melon cocktail. Shauna Evans joined us to share this spirited mix that can easily be made into a non-alcoholic drink.
Cantaloupe Cayenne Cooler
Makes 2 cocktails or mocktails
- 2 Cups cubed cantaloupe, preferably cold
- 3 limes
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 2 cayenne chili peppers
- 3 ounces blue agave tequila (substitute sparkling white grape juice to make it alcohol free)
- 2 teaspoons Himalayan sea salt
- Place the cantaloupe in a blender or food processor, reserving 2 small pieces for garnish. Add the juice of two limes and pulverize until completely pureed.
- Run the cantaloupe puree through a fine mesh strainer to remove the pulp.
- In a small saucepan, add the water and sugar. Cut the tops off of the peppers and set aside for garnish. Place the peppers into the sugar water and heat to a simmer. Turn off the heat and let the peppers steep for five minutes before straining them from the syrup.
- Cut the remaining lime into wedges. Run a wedge of lime along the rims of two low ball glasses. Place the sea salt in a saucer and dip the glasses into the salt to frost.
- Push a wedge of lime, a cube of melon, and a pepper top onto each of two cocktail picks to make the garnishes.
- Add half of the cantaloupe juice to a cocktail shaker with ice. Add half of the cayenne pepper simple syrup, and 1.5 ounces of tequila or sparkling white grape juice. Shake vigorously until well chilled. Pour into a frosted glass and garnish. Repeat for the other cocktail.