Melody Jensen has made exercising in the kitchen fun and easy. Barre exercises can do wonders for you and is a great workout that can be done at home. These exercises can be done in whatever you are wearing, so you don’t have to change into work out clothes and then change again. Just keep wearing your outfit for the day and do a few minutes of exercises once a day or each time you walk into the kitchen. Barre exercises can help improve your posture as you practice standing tall through each exercise.
All you need to do this simple exercise is a stairway banister, dining table, or a chair. Barre exercises derive from ballet, so you just need something to put your hands on and keep you stable. These exercises are pregnancy friendly and if you have a baby or small child either hold them or strap to you while you do the exercises.
Listen close to your body and make sure nothing hurts as you do each exercise, but you should feel like your legs, glutes, hips, and core are working very hard as Barre exercises are known for being intense.
Here are some of Melody’s favorite exercises:
- 3 Demi Releve: Standing in first position, nice and tall, stomach engaged, do 3 demi plies and then a releve onto your toes or the balls of your feet.
- Attitude Lunge: Bring your leg furthest from the counter into an attitude and pulse up for 3, 2, 1 and reverse lunge repeat on each side.
- Lunge to Arabesque: Stay in the lunge and then lift the outside leg to the back for 3 pulses, really targeting your glutes.
- Sliding half moons: Using a dishrag on the floor (or wearing socks) so your toes can slide, slightly bend both knees and then slide the toes of the outside leg to the front. Slide around in a half moon to the back and slide back to starting position. Do several in one direction and then switch.
- 4th position lunge-Side crunch: Start with feet in a wide stance, 4th position (feet turned out with back foot about 2 feet from front foot). Lunge by bending the front knee and then lift to a side crunch on the side of your body furthest from the counter.
Melody started doing a weekly video demonstrating 5 Kitchen Barre exercises each week and here is the link to the Facebook page where you can find them: