In Utah, the Red Cross responds to a house fire every two to three days. If that happens to you the Red Cross wants you to be prepared with a fire escape plan. Rich Woodruff from the Utah Red Cross says it is all about planning ahead so everyone in the home knows what to do if a fire occurs.
- Walking through the home and looking at all exits and possible escape routes, including windows;
- Listing two ways to get out of every room in case fire blocks one of the paths;
- Picking a place to meet outside, a safe distance away from the home;
- Conducting drills. Practice until every member of the household, including children, can escape the home in less than two minutes;
- Making sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1
- Teaching everyone to STOP, DROP and ROLL if their clothes should catch on fire.