Salt Lake City, Utah (The Daily Dish) — It’s time for the new year, new me mentality and with that comes a new mindset. It’s the time of year when everyone is trying to lighten up and eat a little healthier.
Today, Jennifer Burns and Jacob Schmidt with The Utah Beef Council are showing a flavorful salad that is the perfect dish that you can also take on the go!
- 1 pound Ground Beef (95% lean)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 package (10 to 12 ounces) iceberg or romaine salad mix (lettuce, red cabbage, carrots)
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, (optional)
- 1/2 cup prepared reduced-fat or fat-free ranch dressing
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup Crunchy Tortilla Strips (recipe follows) or crushed baked tortilla chips (optional)
- Brown Ground Beef with garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef up into 1/2-inch crumbles. Pour off drippings, if necessary. Stir in water, chili powder, and cumin; cook and stir for 1 minute to blend flavors. Cool slightly.
- Cook’s Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
- Place salad mix, beef, tomato, beans, corn and cheese, if desired, in large bowl with lid. Top with dressing; close lid securely or cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Shake gently to combine. Top with tortilla strips, if desired.
- Crunchy Tortilla Strips: Cut 2 corn tortillas in half, then crosswise into ¼-inch-wide strips. Place strips in single layer on baking sheet. Spray tortilla strips lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 4 to 8 minutes at 400ºF or until crisp.
- Cook’s Tip: You can substitute your favorite dressing for ranch dressing.