(The Daily Dish) The fabulous Jennifer and Jacob with Utah Beef Council are in Studio cooking up a lunch for us this Monday afternoon – Farmer’s Market Vegetable, Beef, and Brown Rice Salad!
- 1 beef Top Round Steak, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups asparagus pieces (2-inch pieces)
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1 cup diced, seeded tomatoes
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ingredients for Marinade:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Place beef Top Round Steak and 1/4 cup marinade in a food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours or as long as overnight. Reserve the remaining marinade in the refrigerator for dressing.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on rack in broiler pan so the surface of beef is 2 to 3 inches from heat. Broil for 12 to 13 minutes for medium rare (145°F) doneness, turning once. Remove; keep warm.
- Cook’s Tip: To grill, place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 10 to 11 minutes (over medium heat on a preheated gas grill, times remain the same) for medium rare (145°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add asparagus and squash; cook and stir for 7 to 8 minutes or until tender. Toss with rice, tomatoes, beans, basil, salt, and reserved marinade in a large bowl. Carve steak into thin slices. Serve over the rice salad.