Jennifer Burns with the Utah Beef Council is in The ABC4 Kitchen to cook up a favorite: Caprese Steak Starter. With Small plates and big flavors, you can’t miss! Marinate and grill skewers of bite-sized Top Sirloin Steak then toss with tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, and a classic vinaigrette.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 pound beef Top Sirloin Boneless, cut 1 inch thick
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat or regular balsamic vinaigrette, divided
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 container (7.5 ounces) fresh mozzarella cheese balls, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper
Instructions for cooking:
- Cut beef steak into 1-inch pieces. Place beef and 1/4 cup vinaigrette in a food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat. Close bag securely. Combine remaining 1/4 cup dressing, tomatoes, and mozzarella in a medium bowl, stirring to coat; cover. Marinate beef and vegetables in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to 2 hours.
- Soak four 10-inch bamboo skewers in water 10 minutes; drain. Remove beef from vinaigrette; discard marinade. Thread beef evenly onto skewers, leaving small space between pieces.
- Place skewers on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 5 to 7 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 7 to 9 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Cook’s Tip: To broil, place skewers on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 7 to 11 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning once.
- Remove beef from skewers; add to bowl with tomato and mozzarella. Stir in basil; mixing to coat beef with vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Evenly divide beef mixture among small serving plates.
Head on over to the Utah Beef Council Website for additional information on Marinade’s, Rubs, and more fantastic recipes.
This article contains sponsored content.