SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 News)- A Salt Lake County family with five people diagnosed with coronavirus said one of their family members died from complications related to the virus on Saturday.
The family says 24-year-old Silvia Deyanira Meléndez and another family member were being cared for at the University of Utah Hospital. Her family says she died at the hospital on Saturday.
“She was strong; She went through open-heart surgery and battled through other traumas in life,” the family’s GoFundMe stated. “[She] was one of the most loving, thoughtful, kind-hearted people she would go out of her way to always lend a helping hand.”
The family has started a GoFundMe to help with funeral costs.
“We understand it’s a hard time for many people at this time if you aren’t able to donate then do us a favor and please stay home it could save a life,” the fundraiser states.
Other coronavirus related stories:
- District Court Judge sides with Tooele County officials to stop planned Collin Raye concert
- WATCH SOON: Top doctors, mental health experts answer your questions on ‘Coronavirus House Calls’ | May 30
- First COVID-19 case confirmed at the Utah State prison in Draper
- Survey shows Salt Lake County resident concerns about engaging with businesses during COVID-19
- Ogden’s First Friday Art Stroll announces it’s going virtual again