SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 News) – A senior at West High School and first-generation African refugee, Niyera Nyandagaro, recently received a $25,000 Bridging the Dream Scholarship from Sallie Mae.
Despite hardships she has experienced, Nyandagaro excels academically and in her community. She takes advanced placement classes, maintains a high GPA, and even volunteers at two local hospitals to prepare for a medical career.
Nyandagaro is one of nine worldwide scholarship recipients. She plans to form her own non-profit.
What others are clicking on:
- Beehive Blitz – Second Round Playoffs
- ‘The most beautiful, loving, and amazing soul’ says family of woman killed in Midvale homicide
- How do you test wastewater for COVID-19?
- Utah issues emergency alert due to rapid spread of COVID-19
- Kansas recalls hundreds of license plates over concern of racial slur