SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 News) – A senior at West High School and first-generation African refugee, Niyera Nyandagaro, recently received a $25,000 Bridging the Dream Scholarship from Sallie Mae.
Despite hardships she has experienced, Nyandagaro excels academically and in her community. She takes advanced placement classes, maintains a high GPA, and even volunteers at two local hospitals to prepare for a medical career.
Nyandagaro is one of nine worldwide scholarship recipients. She plans to form her own non-profit.
What others are clicking on:
- Super Bowl Commercials: Molly Ringwald to star alongside an avocado
- At Sundance, an annual rebirth for American movies
- Senate Republicans want to hear ‘both sides’ of impeachment trial
- Gun rights advocates pick up trash after protesting peacefully in Richmond
- 49ers offensive assistant coach Katie Sowers discusses her road to the NFL