SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 News) – A senior at West High School and first-generation African refugee, Niyera Nyandagaro, recently received a $25,000 Bridging the Dream Scholarship from Sallie Mae.
Despite hardships she has experienced, Nyandagaro excels academically and in her community. She takes advanced placement classes, maintains a high GPA, and even volunteers at two local hospitals to prepare for a medical career.
Nyandagaro is one of nine worldwide scholarship recipients. She plans to form her own non-profit.
What others are clicking on:
- Small Utah business proud to have created the largest American flag at the inauguration
- Man killed in West Valley crash
- Among dozens of inaugurations, President Biden’s Bible stands out
- President Biden signs 15 executive orders within hours of taking oath
- Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott to leave his post in June