Salt Lake City, Utah (ABC4 News) – Salt Lake City is preparing to host the International Economic Development Council Future Forum.
The forum will bring economic professionals from around the world to the city to talk about the importance of the event,
Jake Maxwell from the Salt Lake City Department of Economic Development and Marlin Eldred, Economic Development Director for Lehi, joined Good Morning Utah to share some thoughts on the forum.
Included below is what wasjust some of what was discussed:
The IEDC Economic Future Forum is coming to Salt Lake City next week. June 9th-11th. Tell us more about the conference.
- The annual conference attracts hundreds of economic development professionals from around the world.
- It’s about sharing latest trends, best practices, and future trends in economic development.
- Salt Lake City was selected to host because of our downtown revitalization efforts, our strong legacy of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games, and our thriving arts and entertainment scene.
Who is IEDC?
- IEDC stands for International Economic Development Council, headquartered in Washington DC
- World’s largest membership organization serving the economic development profession.
- Non-profit, non-partisan membership organization, more than 5,000 members
- Member create jobs, develop vibrant communities, and improve the quality of life in their regions.
- Salt Lake City’s Director of Salt Lake City’s Department of Economic Development is a board member for IEDC
How does an event like this help our community?
- Beyond learning is discussion with industry veterans
- It really valuable to meet people who face the same challenges as you, or who have been in the same situation
- We trade stories, learn tips and even get advice on when to call it quits on a project or how to overcome a roadblock
- Salt Lake City and Utah will be in the spotlight. It is incredible exposure for our local professionals and it highlights all of the good things happening downtown.
What topics are they covering this year? Who will be speaking at the conference?
- It’s all about finding better ways to grow, attract, retain, and expand companies in established and emerging industries.
- Real estate development and commercial revitalization
- How to better reach and service companies who are looking to relocate
- The Future of Workforce will be a big topic
- Keynote Speakers include:
- Shannon Bahrke, Founder & Chief Inspirational Olympian
- Mayor Jackie Biskupski, Salt Lake City
- John Burchett, Head of Policy at Google Fiber
- Sean Covey, President of FranklinCovey Education
- Lara Fritts, Director of Salt Lake City Department of Economic Development
- Natalie Gochnour, Director of Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute
- Gary Herbert, Governor of Utah
- Dr. Deneece Huftaliin, President of Salt Lake Community College
- Sara Jones, COO of Women Tech Council
- Davis Smith, Founder and CEO Cotopaxi
What others are clicking on: