SALT LAKE, Utah (ABC4 News) – Tayton Winward is the youngest boy to burned in a gasoline fire in Perry and his injuries are the most severe.
The seven-year-old is described as curious and energetic by his grandparents Blake and Teresa Glovers.
Tayton was with a group of four other boys Thursday afternoon. They were playing with a lighter and cans of gasoline, which sparked an explosion and fire. Four of the five boys were burned.
“The first thing you do is look at him and feel for him and wish there was something you could do to take that away,” Blake said.
Tayton’s family said the boy has second degree burns on his face and third degree burns on his hands and arms.
“It’s going to be a long recovery for this little boy,” Teresa said.
As of Friday, Tayton was still sedated and on a ventilator, according to relatives. They said his condition is slowly improving.
The only boy to walk away from the fire is Spencer Cronin. The nine-year-old didn’t get burned, but singed the hair on his legs.
“I’m feeling really grateful,” Cronin said. “I think I had a guardian angel that could have been my grandpa because he just recently passed away.”
Tayton’s grandmother said it’s hard to see her family members hurt, especially her daughter who watches Tayton fight to recover.
“It’s just a heartbreaking event for all families involved,” Teresa said. “I’m grateful we have a lot of friends and family. This is hard.”
Her husband agreed.
“We appreciate all the prayers for our grandson,” Blake added. “We pray he comes out of this okay.”
Tayton was expected to undergo skin graph surgery on Friday, but the surgery was postponed until early next week.