WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah (ABC 4 News) – A three alarm fire burned two homes and left a family homeless Saturday.
Richard Conder said neighbors tipped him off about a fire in his West Valley Neighborhood. It happened near 7000 South and 3000 West.
“We didn't think it was our home,” Conder said. “My wife called and said ‘that's our house’.”
Conder’s neighbor, Sonny Jckowski, tried to use a water hose to thwart the flames.
“It did a lot of damage,” Jckowski said. “It breaks my heart to see what happened to my neighbors.”
Jckowski’s wife, Cora, is furious. She said she called authorities in West Valley City this week in an attempt to get the owner of field behind their homes to cut down the weeds.
“This fire is what I feared for exactly 35 years,” Jckowski said. “People's lives and homes are at risk. Nothing was done!”
Investigators believe a power line came down in the open field. A spark may have caught the dry grass and spread with the wind.
Conder said the flames caught a tree near his backyard.
“The tree went right over and into my house,” he said. “And it's all brand new. I was just finishing up the flooring, completely new flooring.”
Conder said he spent his savings to fix the house just the way he wanted it. He is thankful his family and neighbors are safe.
“As long as everyone is okay, everything else can be replaced,” he added.