SOUTH JORDAN, Utah (ABC 4 News) - Two Utah brothers are back home after their heroic efforts in Los Angeles nearly cost them their lives.
“It feels so good to be home,” said Beau Maxon, 23.
Twins Skyler and Beau maxon have a new appreciation for the little things like watching football at home in Utah. But it was horrible accident that brought them back.
“There’s no possible way I could stay there, it was right out my front door,” said Beau.
Last month a driver lost control right outside the twins' LA apartment, striking a light pole and a water hydrant. The twins and neighbors rushed to help and saw a woman lying in a pool of electrified water.
“Irma the first was lying there and she was being electrocuted and we didn't know and Beau and I approached her and Beau reached down to touch her and that's when Beau was electrocuted,” said Skyler.
“I felt it go throughout my entire body and every muscle clinch so hard, so fast,” said Beau.
Then another woman stepped into the deadly mix. “I finally screamed out ‘she's being electrocuted and she's going to die and if you try to help you're going to die too,’” said Beau.
“There was water shooting 40-50 feet in the air and I’m sure she couldn't hear and she touched her and died there as well with Irma,” said Skyler.
Skyler was able to pull his brother to safety, but for Irma Zamora and Stacey Schreiber, it was too late.
“I’ll in some ways never be the same,” said Beau.
Beau suffered extensive damaged from the 4,800 bolts of electricity that went through his body. He spent two days in the ICU. The damage to his muscles released toxins that poisoned his liver and kidneys and he's recovering from first and second degree internal burns.
The driver of the SUV didn't receive any injuries. Police say speed may have played a role.
Now back in Utah he plans to continue his treatment at the University of Utah’s Medical Center.
“He's my twin,” said Skyler. “He's a minute older than me and I’m just glad he's here.”
The brothers said the accident will always hunt them, but serves as an important reminder.
“It was just a reminder that life is precious and it's short,” said Beau.
Beau’s medical costs are mounting. If you'd like to donate, visit to www.beaumaxon.com.