WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah (ABC 4 News) - Six-year-old Mason was surprised Thursday morning at his school by firefighters from the West Valley Fire Department. Mason knows the firefighters well, men just like them helped him during an accident that left his face scarred.
Mason Fackrell told ABC4, "I got burned by hot cooking oil when I was 18-months-old."
Mason got into hot cooking oil and spilled the scalding hot oil down his body.
Alicia Doxey, Mason's Aunt, told ABC4 News about the accident. Doxey said, "His grandma said he turned around and he had skin hanging off of him."
Sometimes living with the scars left behind from the accident is hard for the six-year-old. Doxey said, "He has a lot of kids staring and it is hard for him if he gets a lot of stares."
Despite the awkward moments, Mason is doing good and his classmates understand what happened thanks to visits from Firefighters like they had on Thursday.
Capt. Dale VanTussenboork from West Valley Fire Department said, "We let his classmates know he is special in a great way and that's why we are here."
During today's visit the first graders at Whittier Elementary had a lesson in Fire Safety and checked out a Fire Engine.
The entire time, Mason was the star of the show.
Doxey said, "It's been awesome. It has made him feel special and if he has one day, two days where he gets to feel like the number one person that day. It is worth it."