SANDY, Utah (ABC 4 News) – ABC 4 is introducing a new partnership with City Weekly, it's what we call a “First Look” inside the cover story. In ABC 4’s first report we dug deeper into their story on a toxic chemical leak, and talked to the players in what’s considered the "Toxic Secret in Sandy."
If you look on the cover of City Weekly you'll see they've uncovered a potentially dangerous toxic problem. It's in the air, and under the ground of a Sandy strip mall.
"The chemicals have released vapors which are toxic," said Stephen Dark, City Weekly Staff Writer.
Stephen Dark with City Weekly said Sandy's toxic secret all has to do with Milo's Cleaners off 94th South and Highland Drive.
Dark said documents he discovered show the cleaner has been leaking a chemical into the ground called tetrachloroethene or “PCE.” Some describe the toxin as possibly cancerous.
"Neither the tenants nor the local community had been informed about this," said Dark.
One of those tenants was Rachel Bartnicki. In 2007 she owned the Italian Gelato shop just two doors down. At the time she became very sick.
"Everything hurt, I couldn't breath, I had laryngitis for months," said Rachel Bartnicki, former of owner of Bella Cita Gelato & Café.
Although she can't confirm it, Bartnicki believes the chemicals leaking at Milo's cleaners caused her illness. When her business closed, and she stopped working near Milo's, her health returned.
Thursday ABC 4 Reporter Brian Carlson went to talk to Milo's cleaners about the leak. Even though the sign said open, they locked him out, and refused to answer the door.
Dark said the cleaners’ unwillingness to talk is just the tip of the iceberg.
"It's an area more full of questions that this story couldn't even begin to scratch the surface of," said Dark.
If you want to read the full City Weekly report, just click on the link embedded in this story labeled “Toxic Secret in Sandy.”