Tomatillo Chicken Tacos
by Karen Petersen- www.365daysofcrockpot.com
5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
8-10 medium tomatillos
1 red onion, diced
1 jalapeño chile
1 poblano chile
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
2 tsp lime juice
1. Thaw chicken, pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker.
2. Combine onion, chiles, garlic, oregano, cumin and oil in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 4-5 minutes, stirring every minute until onion is soft. Transfer to slow cooker. Add in the tomatillos.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours.
4. Remove chicken and shred with 2 forks.
5. Strain the liquid in the slow cooker into a bowl. Puree the strained solids in a blender. Add puree into the chicken. Add more cumin, salt and pepper (add in plenty of salt here like 1 tsp) to taste and 2 tsp fresh lime juice. If needed, add in some of the strained liquid.
6. Serve the filling wrapped up in tortillas with sour cream, cilantro, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and other toppings of your choice.
Makes 4-5 servings