Makes 6-8 servings
4 med. yellow potatoes
2 cups sliced leeks
3 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
(1½ tsp Shirley J bouillon)
3 cups water
1 tsp garlic powder
½ cup bacon bits
Salt and pepper, to taste
1½ cups medium or sharp cheddar cheese
¼ cup butter
5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1. Place potato cubes, leeks, bouillon, water and garlic powder in slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on LOW for about 5-7 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
3. Prepare a roux by melting butter over low heat in a skillet. Add in flour, one tablespoon at a time. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup (just the liquid portion). Add another 3 cups of soup and stir until smooth. Add all back into the slow cooker and whisk until all incorporated.
4. Slowly stir in the cheese, a little at a time (so it doesn't get all clumpy). Add in the bacon bits.
5. Salt and pepper to taste and serve with extra bacon and cheese, if desired.