There are an estimated 22,000 radon induced lung cancer deaths each year in the US. Radon is the second-leading cause of lung cancer behind smoking. Healthy, non-smokers can be at serious risk for lung cancer and not even know it.
Radon is a naturally occurring, invisible gas produced from the decay of uranium within the soil and bedrock. This gas can become concentrated in homes and buildings posing serious health risks. Radon seeps into buildings and homes through cracks in the foundation and walls and in the home's plumbing and water.
The EPA has determined that any radon problem should be fixed if levels are above 4 pCi/L. Utah homes average 5.3 pCi/L. 37% of Utah homes have radon levels at or above 4 pCi/L.
Radon levels can vary greatly from neighborhood to neighborhood and even from house to house. The only way to know if you have radon in your home is to test for it. Radon test kits are affordable and widely available through public health departments, professional testing companies, and retail stores.
Radon problems can be fixed by installing a non-invasive mitigation unit. New homes can also be built to resist radon.
For more information, please visit: http://www.radon.utah.gov