Lori Maness, MBA is the outreach coordinator at Huntsman Cancer Institute. She talked about things you can do for a loved one who has been diagnosed with cancer.
Maness recommends you do these things for someone you love who is being treated for cancer:
- Let your loved one tell you how they are feeling honestly, without pushing them to always be positive. Try to understand their feelings, and be emotionally supportive.
- Support your loved one by making sure all their needs are being met. Offer to drive them to appointments, cook for them, clean for them, or take them out shopping.
- Take care of yourself too.
Maness says these are things you can do to support cancer patients at Huntsman Cancer Institute.
- Donate new hats, wigs, or blankets. You can do this as a group service project.
- Donate books and recent magazines.
Find additional help and resources by calling the Cancer Learning Center at Huntsman Cancer Institute, 1-888-424-2100 or live chat at www.huntsmancancer.org.