Holiday Shopping Tips
- Create a plan.
- Budget is important.
- Who are you buying for?
- How much will you spend on each person?
- Have specific gifts in mind.
Price shop from home
- Compare ads and flyers an check online for the best prices
Limit time at the mall
- Be specific in your plans, don't linger or give yourself too much time
Be wary of In-store Credit Card Offers
- Generally have higher interest rates
- They increase compulsive spending
- Be wary of "buy now, pay later"
- Paying later often has hidden costs and penalties
If shopping online, buy only from familiar reputable companies
- Know what you are buying and where you are buying
It's never too early to plan for next year.
- Open a holiday savings account
Protect yourself from Holiday Fraud
- Phishing (where people try to get you to give up personal information)
- Report emails requesting to confirm or update personal financial information
- Watch out for scams including winning the lottery, the "Grandma" scam where someone pretends to be a grandchild in trouble, etc.
Use caution when buying & selling online
- You won a lottery you didn't enter
- Wiring or sending money, especially out of the country
Protecting your ID
- Beware of card skimmers
- Keep your debit/credit cards in your possession or sight.
- Check Online statements
- Call your card provider immediately if your card is lost or stolen or if you notice unusual activity
If you'd like to contact Granite Credit Union, call (801) 288-3000 or visit: http://www.granite.org.